I refactored quit a lot of code on my site Tech Head Brothers this week and went to bed late (around 1:30 AM each day). But now it is running better and faster. I removed the rendering to Pdf using NFop of the articles because it works locally on my TEST server but not on the PROD one.

One of the speed improvement is due to the complete reimplementation of a user control that download a RSS to publishnews on my site. The issue with the previous method was that the cache was buggy. Now what I am doing is to to use two values in cache, one is the RSS document (a XML document as a string) and that one never expire:





Cache.Insert(CacheKey, xmlControl.Document.InnerXml,
null, System.Web.Caching.Cache.NoAbsoluteExpiration, System.Web.Caching.Cache.NoSlidingExpiration); The second cache value is an expiration cache value :



Cache.Insert(ExpiredKey, “”,
null, DateTime.Now.AddSeconds(60), TimeSpan.Zero); I use that cache value to know if it is time to download again the RSS :



///




/// Check if the cache expired




///




/// true, if it expired otherwise false




private bool isCacheStillValid()

{

return ((Cache.Get(ExpiredKey) != null));

}

If it is time to download again then I remove from the cache the XmlDocument after having it downloaded correctly:



//Remove old version from cache




Cache.Remove(CacheKey);

This way I always have the RSS in the cache, and remove it only if I have a new one downloaded.